Monday, August 23, 2010

The Undivided City of BERLIN


First things first . . . above is a picture of the Kaufhaus des Westens . . . or to Berliers KaDeWe - the largest department store on the Continent! (This was our first stop . . . and YES I did purchase a few things inside - mostly candy and dishes!) :o) Yea!

I believe that this picture speaks for itself.
Checkpoint Charlie - and remember it wasn't named for a person - but because it was checkpoint number 3 like alpha, bravo, CHARLIE.

Another one that doesn't need explaining.


The interesting thing about this one - besides the fact that you can pay the "actors" to take a picture with them . . . is the McDonald's nearby! Making money at it's best! Certainly was alive and well in Berlin!



Katelyn and Mac in front of a piece of the old Berlin Wall.



Mac and Katelyn by the Brandenburg Gate. A former border for the East and the West.

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. The church's bombed-out ruins were left standing as a memorial to the destruction of Berlin in World War II. After the war, some Berliners wanted to tear down the church and rebuild. Instead it was decided to keep the ruin as a memorial and build another church section close by.


Another picture of the church with the tourists - Kate and Mac!


When our friends decided to come back to Germany and see things maybe they hadn't seen when we were all teaching here together last time, they knew we might see some of the same places. Berlin was one of those places. 20 years ago, after John had returned from his deployment, Tom, Eileen, John and I went to Berlin to see Tom's favorite football team - the 49ers - play in an exhibition game against the Chicago Bears. One of the things that John and I always talk about was that the hotel we stayed in was a former East Berlin hotel with matresses that were about one inch thick . . . plus they were in a room that was so narrow, the two beds were head to toe, head to toe - instead of side by side. Now, the hotel we stayed in was on the former West side, and was much larger by European standards. Anyhoo . . . John wasn't able to go this trip, but it was important for the kids to see all the sites of Berlin. We spent 3 days and 2 nights seeing all we could. Of course, one day it rained, but we're used to that . . . it always seems to rain here! So, we didn't let that stop us!

ENJOY!!!










4 comments:

  1. What an awesome place!!! I am glad the kids are old enough to remember the important historical things... T only remembers a remote section of The Wall (that a cabbie took us to see), the bathrobes and shower at the Inter-Continental, the Zoo and a visit to KFC (that I don't think actually happened!!!). H recalls the pretty blond Spargel Queen winking at waving at him from a fest float covered with white asparagus and I just remember being stunned at how beautiful and modern that city was!!! I love that you got to have a 'then and now' experience. That is just so darn cool. I KNOW there is more to come, right!? I wait with 'bated breath!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the KaDeWe!! I can't tell you how much time and money I've spent in that store...that was just on the food floor!! Joshua's baby dishes were purchased there. Love it, love it! I'm so glad that y'all were able to tour the city. What an amazing city with such history. Back in 1999 we spent 2 weeks in Berlin. Our friends we visited lived in what was the eastern part. Your pictures brought back a lot of memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful time you all must have had. I am sure you enjoyed seeing the sights with the kids. Mac sure is getting taller! Katelyn looks beautiful. Oh, and you look pretty good too! I am sure it was all great fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing a great job with your pics, Lydia. I like the shot you got of that church. Did you have to do some research to find the name of it? I couldn't remember it. And I didn't know that KaDaWe stood for longer words. You're smart!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete