Well, here you have it . . . a quick trip back to the states. I was asked by our community here in Germany to fill out an application to participate in a DA/Department of the Army Conference back in Washington DC. I was thrilled to get asked to participate because I have volunteered for many, many years with the Army Family Action Plan Conferences at local levels. To get to attend at the highest level was an honor. So, I filled out the application and waited . . . when I found out I was chosen, I was thrilled!!! I was excited to get to make and see changes at that level, but also to see good friends and family that live in the area. Here are some pictures and a few stories about all that I did in that 10 days!
Enjoy!!!
 |
| Amy Varela and me . . . Amy was my first real friend at Fort Hood - and we were there long enough to have her move to Germany and then return. So, she is my bookend friend at Hood - the beginning and end! The Varelas also lived in the Virginia area when we lived there, so we got to see them occasionaly. It was great to see her and the family again! Amy was the last of all the friends I got to see. She took me back to the airport to send me back to Germany. Thanks for doing the airport shuttle duty! Thanks for the wonderful hospitality, Amy - especially driving me to the airport! :o) |
 |
| My two neighbors from Virginia. Marlene and Kate. We had so much fun seeing each other! (They both talk as much as me! . . . AND as fast!!!) We met for lunch and stayed at the diner for several hours - I know that the waitress was thrilled to see us leave! It was great to get to catch up with them and all the things that are happening in their lives. Marlene and Kate were the second stop after the conference. Great, great, great seeing y'all!!! |
 |
| Gale Malone and me. Gale was another friend from Fort Hood, but we really got to know each other at the War College in Pennsylvania. She knew I'd been back in the good 'ole USA a week by this time and I hadn't gotten to eat at my favorite eatery . . . Chipotle. She was very sweet, and took me there! It was great getting to see her and her boys . . . even the "new to me" boy dog! Gale was the first stop after the conference. She then gave me to the neighbors for lunch the next day. Thanks for Chiptole and a good night's sleep, Gale! |
 |
| So . . . Tanya Ware, me and Leslie Lien. Two wonderful ladies I first met at Fort Hood. They came to see me before the conference even started. We met at the hotel and then went out for "brunch". Leslie lives about 45 minutes away in Virginia and Tanya is in Pennsylvania . . . so they get the awards for traveling the furthest to see me! (Not that I was giving out awards!!!) Plus we got to spend a few extra minutes in my room only to find out I was going to have to get a new insulin pump sent to me! Nice to have friends that will let you use their cell phones and help figure out "sweet things". Funny how it always happens that God puts people in our lives that understand what is happening and the importance of it all . . . you see, several years ago, Leslie's daughter was diagnosed with the "sweet thing", too. Fabulous friends to start my week !!! Thanks for driving in, girls!!! |
 |
| My friend Pam Flora and me. |
 |
| Ethan and Molly Flora |
 |
| Pam and Kayley |
 |
| Dan Flora and me. So . . . the Flora family. Marlene and Kate dropped me off at their house - not too far from where we used to live. They are wonderful friends of ours that we met at our church in Virginia. Pam and Dan attended Parkwood with us, and Dan was Mac's cub scout leader - back when Mac did cub scouts. Pam's dad was in the Air Force, and so we also had that in common. We just always hit it off and loved to spend the weekends playing some kind of card game or something else. They even visited us several times in PA once we moved there. I guess they didn't have much to do after we left Northern Virginia, because they added Kayley to the family. It was great to meet her and see the rest of the family and even get beaten at a few games! Thanks Flora family for putting up with me for the night and taking me to church the next day!! You're the best! |
 |
| Chris and me. (You know that Mom and Dad will love this one - and apparently there is more of both me and Chris to love!) Ha! Chris picked me up from the airport when I arrived from Germany. I got to spend the day with him. It was great . . . it IS always great to see my brother! I was also happy to see him a few more times during the week. We'd meet at the mall food court and spend some time together. Thanks for picking me up and making me stay awake all during that first day, Chris . . . oh, and checking my hotel room to make sure it was safe! :o) |
I am sure you had a great time reconnecting with friends from around the world! Good pictures, Lydia.
ReplyDeleteI bet your family was glad to have you back with them though!
Thanks for sharing!
Sounds like a busy, but very FUN trip reconnecting with family and friends. You didn't say much about your time at the conference.
ReplyDeleteI noticed the Flora Family has quite a collection of Polish Pottery, too.
Enjoy your last few months back in DE.