Thursday, May 6, 2010

Farmer Lydia

The "harvested" aspargus getting washed.


The farm had strawberries and asparagus.



The asparagus is hidden under the dirt in these mounds and even covered by the plastic to keep it white.




The cute "fresh asparagus" blow up doll!




Okay, so here you have it . . . Lydia became a farmer for a day! I went to a "Spargel Farm" to pick the famous white German aspargus - called Spargel. It was a lot of work. You uncover the plastic mounds of dirt and look for the top of the plant coming through. Then you proceed to use your index and middle finger to dig around and down the stalk. (Now, if you didn't have carpal tunnel before . . . you do now!) Then you use a tool to go right along the stalk where you've dug it out and kind of cut it off. The last step is that you have to use a trowel to put all the dirt back in the mound you've just dug out. That way, another stalk can continue to grow, etc. Quite tedious work, I might say . . . and back breaking, too. Anyway, at least now I know why it's so expensive! But, boy oh boy, we had yummy fresh spargel for dinner - that I picked all by myself. That was satisfying! (But, I won't do it again!!!)


ENJOY!!!






3 comments:

  1. Oh how cool, Farmer L! You KNOW how I love to see new things! I hope your wrists and fingers have recovered by now. I think you should have been in the photo beside Farmer Fresh-Spargel. If I can be the Strawberry Queen, YOU can be the Spargel Princess! xoxo P.S. H flew into Ft H today... first time back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandmother and GrandpaMay 10, 2010 at 5:48 PM

    Well done, Farmerett Lydia. I know
    this was a great new experience for
    you. Did you learn some new recipes
    for a German preparation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Spargel!! The only thing I don't like about the white asparagus is they are so tough and if one forgets to scrap one little section off of them they just are too hard to eat.
    But, if you do it right, that is some good eatin'.
    I'm glad you became a farmer for a day. :)
    Ann

    ReplyDelete