One of my favorite places I visited over 20 years ago was Pompeii. I was so excited to get to go back there with the family. Mt. Vesuvius erupted many, many years ago - leaving behind a really cool place to visit. Although this tragic event ended the lives of 20,000 Pompeian residents, the ash that buried the town served as a sort of mummification for the entire city. The eruption of 79 AD which buried the town in ash actually captured a moment in time. Under the ash everything remained as it was at the time of the eruption. Artwork was preserved. Buildings were preserved. Several important clues were left behind. These clues give us a little glimpse into the past. These clues are the silver lining that can be seen when you visit the ruins at Pompeii. We all enjoyed our visit to the ancient city.
ENJOY!!!
ENJOY!!!
This free picture slideshow generated with Smilebox |
Looks like Pompeii has not changed much since we were there... or maybe since Vesuvio erupted. ;) Love the shot with the palms/plants behind the kids. To this very day I wish I had brought home a replica of the Dancing Faun. He was just so much tinier than I'd imagined in Humanities class during college! What a shocker. Being in Pompeii is one of my all time favorite memories... we were there at Christmas, so I was very happy to walk those streets again with you in summer, although I do not mean to imply that we are street walkers! Ha ha! xoxo
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful experience for all of you, especially the kids. I am sure they will remember this trip for a lifetime! Mac is changing, I can see it in his face. And Katelyn looks beautiful.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the pictures of your wonderful vacation with us.
Miss you!!!
Gee, that looks so different from what I remember of our visit. I remember it was quite cold, although sunny. And there are only two things I remember of our visit there. One particular mural and the museum where the person was captured running away. I should go through our pictures again. Thanks for the fabulous job you've done with this. It was like visiting Italy all over again.
ReplyDelete