Thursday, October 14, 2010

Restless in Rome

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox


Well, thought I'd show some more of the sights of Rome.  We loved being there!  Everything had so much history - but as you can see . . . I already can't remember it all!!!  There was something significant, I think,  that happened in those 2 pictures, but for the life of me . . . I can't recall.  (Okay, neither can anyone else in the family so???)  Besides all the history and really facinating buildings we saw - we really enjoyed the sun!  Every day was hot . . . some warmer than others, and every single day was sunny!  (I know, I seem to go on and on about that, don't I?)  Anyway . . . we certainly enjoyed Rome!
ENJOY!!!
 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Lydia! What a tour of Rome you have given all of us! Thanks for sharing them and your vacation with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH I LOVE IT AAAAAALLLLL! I did not throw coins in the fountain, but maybe this means I need to go back and do just that. :) I think your famous person is Mussolini and that might be the balcony at Palazzo Venezia (Fascist Party HQ). Question is how do I remember that? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lydia - great photos. The famous person was Mussolini and your freind Pink Flamingo said. See the article below:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palazzo_Venezia
    The Palazzo di Venezia (formerly Palace of St. Mark) is a palazzo (palace) in central Rome, Italy, just north of the Capitoline Hill. The original structure of this great architectural complex consisted of a modest medieval house intended as the residence of the cardinals appointed to the Church of San Marco. In 1469 it became a residential papal palace, having undergone a massive extension, and in 1564, Pope Pius IV, to win the sympathies of the Republic of Venice, gave the mansion to the ambassadors of La Serenissima on condition that a part of the building should be kept as a residence for the cardinals—the Apartment Cibo—and that the Venetian Republic should provide for the building's maintenance and future restoration. The palazzo faces Piazza Venezia and Via del Plebiscito. It currently houses the National Museum of the Palazzo Venezia.

    Benito Mussolini had his office in the Sala del Mappamondo, and used a balcony in the palazzo for delivering many of his most notable speeches, such as the declaration of the Italian Empire, 9 May 1936, to crowds gathered in the Piazza Venezia below.

    ReplyDelete